What kind of eating disorder might I have?
COMPULSIVE EATING OR BINGE EATING DISORDER
is when you
- Overeat in secret, either all or some of the time
- Feel that your eating isn’t normal
- Feel guilty about what you have eaten and feel like a bad person
- Try all the time to lose weight or try to stop yourself from gaining weight
- Think and anguish about food all the time
- Feel out of control around certain kinds of food or any food.
- You vomit, or take laxatives to get rid of unwanted calories, even if you have not overeaten
- Binge and purge in secret but behave normally in front of others
- You are diabetic and manipulate insulin for weight control – see our information pages about diabulimia
- You promise to stop but it somehow doesn’t happen.
You might have this if:
- You are obsessed with clean or pure foods
- Avoiding certain nutrients like dairy food or wheat is a survival issue
- Anxiety about the quality of food affects your life and relationships.
Please note I personally don’t treat active anorexia or AFRID but an happy to refer you to a trained colleague.
- You feel huge, no matter what you weigh & you are terrified of weight gain
- Your eating habits are very restricted
- You hear a Voice telling you to keep eating less & berating you if you do eat
- Other people are worried about you
If a child has avoidant -restrictive feeding disorder:
- They will be very picky with food
- Anxious about eating
- A nutritionally very narrow diet
- Fails to thrive and grow well
- They may be anorexic if they also fear weight gain